The guidance looks at cookies and similar technologies in detail and it is relevant to any organisations operating online services such as websites or mobile apps. It covers:
- What cookies and similar technologies are
- What the rules are on cookies and similar technologies
- How the cookie rules relate to the GDPR
- How to comply with the cookie rules
- Other matters to consider.
The blog highlights, and aims to debunk, the myths that:
- Organisations can rely on implied consent for cookies
- Analytics cookies are strictly necessary, so consent is not needed
- Organisations can use a cookie wall to restrict access to their websites until users consent
- Organisations can rely on legitimate interests to set cookies, so consent is not needed
- The ICO wants online services to stop using cookies and similar technologies.
The ICO highlights that cookie compliance will be an increasing regulatory priority for it in the future an